5th WV Harmonica Championship 2011
Listen, read and see past WV Harmonica Championships
Play Along With Us
Harp Tabs to songs that we play
Pictures NEW links to PICASA ALBUMS
Riffs Tab and Audio
Jam Tracks for practice
History of the Harmonica Club
Map to Java Joint where the club meets
LINKS to other Harmonica Related Sites
HarmoniCollege 3 featuring Todd Parrott will be held April 25th & 26th
Friday April 25 and Saturday April 26, 2014
The "bed and breakfast" harmonica event will once again be held at Heritage Farm in Huntington, WV. Friday night is the "eat and meet and greet" and jam session. Saturday is classes from 9am to 5pm with a jam session that night.
This event has been made possible by the succes of the previous two events and the help of
The Buckeye Harmonica Club of Columbus, OH.
more lodging options this year.
All prices include classes and 5 meals.
CLASSIC........ private room, SOLD OUT
BASIC............. bed ............... SOLD OUT
ROUGHING IT ................. sofa-bed in the living room $100
Classes on Saturday only , no lodging ........................... $50
FridayCheck in starts 3pm
Food and jamming starts 6pm
Jam until late
9am Classes start
Classes to be announced
1pm Classes restart
7pm Full Jam
Classes by Todd Parrott and T J Klay
1) Country style playing
2) Overblows, and how to incorporate them into your playing
3) Position playing - choosing the best position for a particular song or style, and sharing some new ideas for 3rd position
4) Accompaniment playing - when, when not, and what to play
5) Chords, and choosing notes that compliment the changes - which notes work, which notes don't, and understanding why.
6) Phrasing - learning to listen and emulate the phrasing of other instruments, as well as singers.
7) Riffs and rhythms
Classes by Jim Rumbaugh
1) 5th position, an intro for beginner’s
2) 12th position, an intro for beginner’s
3) vibrato via hand, throat, diaphragm, jaw, lip
4) octaves to do chords in 1,4,5 or 1, 6, 4,5 and 1 7d, 6d, 5 songs
5) 4 over 3 rhythm riff, playing a triplet over 4 notes
6) tuning a reed, watch me open a harmonica and tune a reed
7) grooves , listen and learn different grooves per Jimi Lee
Full jam starts at 7pm. unitl ???
You may bring any legal beverage.
Meals are include, breakfast, lunch, dinner. If you don't like what's cooked, we will give you a list of local vendors that deliver at your cost.
You can always mail your reservation, or ask questions via mail. The address is:
The Harmonica Club
c/o Jim Rumbaugh
722 22nd street west
Huntington, WV 25704
It all begins Friday night at 6pm
at the Holleyberry Inn at
3300 Harvey Road
Huntington, WV. 25704
It happens at
3300 Harvey Road
Huntington, WV 25704
Here's the Heritage Farm Video
Go to Heritage Farm Web Site
(Click here to see them)
Classes will be held at
If you want to share the cost of another cabin with someone, let us know. We will try to find you cabin mates.
Map to Heritage Farm
View Larger Map
Directions to Heritage Farm
From I-64, take Exit 8 (5th Street Exit) of Huntington, WV. Turn onto the I-64 Westbound access road. At first, it will look like you are trying to get back on I064. Travel one block and turn right onto Johnstown Road. Follow Johnstown Road about a mile until you come to a stop sign. At the sign, turn left and go across the bridge onto Harvey Road. Follow it 1.7 miles to the marked entrance to Heritage Farm Museum and Village.
Hotels about 30 minutes of Perry Farm
The first 3 are about the same distance from Heritage Farm. The last is another 10 minutes away, All prices are aproximate.
Comfort Suites South Point
Hotel address: 2940 County Road 144, South Point, OH 45680
Ramada Limited Huntington
Hotel address: 3094 16th Street Rd, Huntington, WV 25701
Holiday Inn Hotelste Civic Arena
Hotel address: 800 3rd Ave, Huntington, WV 25701
Red Roof I-64 at US Route 60, Exit #15
Hotel address: 5190 U.S. 60, Huntington, WV 25705